Montpelier Villa 3 v Ardingly 1

Date: October 3, 2015

Venue: Falmer Sports Complex

Referee Mr Mike Hunsworth

Montpelier team: Bown, Mayorga, Gregory, Walsh, Zubadi, Wilson, Nishino, Hart, Alston, Rowe, Harrison. Sub: Byrom

After the morning fog had been burnt away by the beautiful autumn sunshine, the dew was still clinging to the verdant grass on the stunning University pitch, you could sense the anticipation as kick off approached. The home side were unbeaten in four and top of division 1 after beating the leaders last week. Today the Villains faced a different test in visitors Ardingly, they had four points from four games and seemed a Jekyll and Hyde side, today was going to be about concentration and doing a professional job on the opposition to secure three points and extend the lead in the table.

Mike Hunsworth the match referee blew and the game started. Villa got out of the block quickly and started to get on the front foot, however Villa didn’t make the most of the opening ten minutes possession and Ardingly came back into the game. The quarter of an hour that followed didn’t bear many chances as both teams cancelled each other out. However on twenty five minutes one of Sam Zubadi’s monster throw ins saw player manager flick the ball past the Ardingly keepers despairing dive with a really neat header. The period up to the interval involved some fairly turgid football with both teams failing to put many good moves together.

The second half began and Villa who had a grilling from the gaffer at half time began to dominate the game even though the football still wasn’t brilliant. The second goal came from the penalty spot after John Gregory stormed forward and got scythed down by the opposition’s captain which can only be described as a horrific challenge. Gaffer Rowe stepped up confidently smashing the ball in to the top left hand corner. Villa started to play some better stuff and got reward with a third goal Matty Harrison (on 2’s debut) slotting in with a fabulous strike after a nice move from midfield put him through on goal. With a three goal cushion and a few tired and injured players Villa took their foot of the gas a little and let Ardingly back in to the game this resulted in a late consolation goal with about five minutes to go.

The score reflected the game really, Ardingly didn’t have the cutting edge that some of their play deserved and Villa’s extra quality won the points in the end. The Villa defence was once again very strong with Walsh leading by example and his partnership with Zubadi looking very solid. Gregory and Mayorga having very good games with Byrom coming on for the injured Mayorga with fifteen to go. Andy Bown’s first appearance of the season in between the sticks was a good one, commanding his area very well. Tomoki and Hart tried their best in central midfield but Villa missed some key players this week and it showed with a real lack of bite, against a better side this may have hurt them, but Ardingly never had enough to worry the Villains. Matty Harrison had a very good game along with the other wide man Trev Wilson. Gaffer Rowe standing in for the absent Grant Dewdney in defensive midfield put in a man of the match performance although was pretty much ready for the knackers yard by eighty minutes. Alston worked hard up top and was always showing for the ball.

So on to an away fixture at lowly East Court next week on their awful pitch, lets hope for another three points. UP THE VILLA!!